Feb 5, 2012

CapSU Roxas school paper adviser named one of the region’s best


By Noedy D. Balasa
Editor-in-Chief, The Quest

WELL DONE, WELL DONE.
Joaquin (right) receives the recognition
from PIA Director General Jose Fabia.
Hazel D. Joaquin, chairman of The Quest, the school publication of the Capiz State University (CapSU) Roxas City Campus, was awarded one of the Best Performing School Paper Advisers in Region 6 by the Philippine Information Agency (PIA) 6 in the awarding rites held Nov. 24, 2010 at the Iloilo Grand Hotel in Iloilo City.

“When I received the letter inviting me to join the contest, I hesitated to join but due to the persistent encouragement from the University Administration, my peers, and my The Quest staffers I took the courage and vied for the award,” said Joaquin.

In the award conferred by Atty. Jose Fabia, the Director-General of the PIA (see photo), during its College Press Conference and Awards (COPRE), Joaquin stood out as the only awardee from the Province of Capiz along with ten other awardees from the region.

“I was shocked to know that I was one of the awardees. I felt greatly honored and joyful as I ran up the stage to accept this award. I know that my effort for the continuance of our school paper is recognized. This award will not only be for me but for the entire University and especially for The Quest’s staffers so that they will be inspired to work as campus journalists.”

Ferlyn Martinez, managing editor of The Quest, has this to say of Ms Joaquin. “She has been a very patient, hardworking and loving adviser to her student writers.” According to Martinez, Joaquin deserves the recognition because “she has never surrendered on us and has always persevered in the publication despite our tardy submission of articles and the pressures of deadlines.”

Under Joaquin's advisership, The Quest also garnered first place in Best Newsletter. Joaquin has been serving as publication chairman of The Quest for three years.


Joaquin (second from left) is joined by her staff of The Quest,
award-winning student newspaper.

Joaquin (far right) joins the other outstanding school paper advisers
from across Western Visayas.